If you don't like them, tell them how you feel!

The Story:

Jamie Kennedy hosts a documentary that's as much about him, as it is about stand-up comedians in particular, and performance artists in general.  With interviews and anecdotes from dozens of other comics, filmmakers, singers as well as counter points and opinions from a variety of hecklers and critics as to why they do what they do.

It's not always alcohol that fuels it.

Mostly, but not always.

: )

This is an interesting documentary that does focus a bit much on Jamie Kennedy and the disastrous reviews his movies (Malibu's Most Wanted and Son of the Mask) received.  But hey, it's his documentary, so fair enough.  He comes off a bit desperate in a few of the bits, but as the documentary plays out, you have to start feeling for him, and the rest of performance artists who are subject to critiques and reviews from critics both professional and amateur.

The bad thing is, and they talk to a real doozy in here, about reviewers who make the reviews personal.

It's one thing to give an opinion, "hey, I saw this movie, liked/didn't like it, you might feel the same way and spend/save your money".

That's what I attempt to do here, and one of the reasons I did my Greatest 100 movies, so you could peer back into my warped mind and see what I liked and what I didn't, and see if our opinions mesh more times than they diverge.

What I don't do, at least I don't think I've done here, is belittle a performer or their performance.

Even some of these direct to DVD features with big stars (Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta Jones, etc) I try and give the benefit of the doubt.  Have the stars done better? Yep! Do I wish them to be crucified because of a poor choice?  No way!

Some of the criticism that Kennedy and others endure in this film (and their careers) is downright brutal.

Wishing death on a performer?  Come on folks, dial it back a notch or twelve.

Anyway, it's interesting to watch, though realize that with a bunch of stand-ups, it's f-bombs galore in this otherwise interesting documentary that all reviewers (and performers to boot!) should watch to see how this relationship works.
 
Now available for streaming on Netflix as of this writing.

Final Grade: C+...B- range.

Would I Own It: No, the point was made, and again, replay value is low in this house due to language.