Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Movie of the Week: "Safety Not Guaranteed"


When this sucker hits 88 miles per hour...


The Story:

An ad taken out in a Seattle magazine looking for a fellow time-traveler sparks a story interest for a reporter and his two interns.  The writer is actually hoping to hook up with an old flame, and he lets the interns do the heavy lifting.  The female intern gains the time traveler's trust, and the two begin to bond.  She even begins to question how real this whole idea is when she realizes he's being followed by the feds!

Sometimes a movie comes along that you have no expectations for, and it blows you away.

Congratulations, this is that movie.

Funny dialogue, great performances by a bunch of "who are these people?"  Aubrey Plaza is the star as the intern, Darius.  I've never seen her before, but she was amazing and hilariously funny as she deadpanned her way through the movie and I look forward to seeing her in the future.

When the movie ends, I have to admit I was a bit shocked with the ending, or the way it ended, but in the end, not really disappointed.  The movie didn't promise me anything more than what it delivered, and when I think back on this movie, I smile with fond memories of having a good time.

With movies these days, that is often more than enough.

Available to stream instantly on Netflix as of this moment.

Final Grade: A-

Would I Own This One: I could see adding this one to the library.  I would definitely watch it again on streaming in the future when I want to see something I've already watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment