Thursday, March 7, 2013

Gun Control is for Sissies... "God Bless America"!!


What's wrong with this country?

Reality Television, for starters!


The Story:

Frank (Joel Murray) isn't happy.  His neighbors are rude, society is in the dumps, and thanks to an effort to cheer up a co-worker, he's been fired for harassment.  Then he finds out he has an inoperable brain tumor.  Great.  So he decides that before he kills himself, he's going to kill an obnoxious reality tv star first, so he can at least feel that he made the world a better place than he found it.  Turns out, he makes a fan from a teenage girl named Roxy (Tara Lynne Barr) who convinces Frank that he would be better off if he killed others like that reality tv star instead of himself.  He agrees, and a platonic friendship evolves as the two embark on a wickedly offbeat killing spree.

I'm going to toss one name out there, and tell me what you think:

Bobcat Goldthwait

Remember him?

If you do, you would probably be hard-pressed to guess that he would grow up to write and direct a movie someday.

But he did.

And then, if I told you that the movie was actually pretty darn good, you wouldn't believe me.

But it is.

Plus, all of this is coming from the guy who said I like happy endings, remember?  But I did say that the story could have an unhappy ending, provided it made sense in the framework of the movie and I could live with it.  London Boulevard...terrible ending to an otherwise great film.  Cost it a big ratings drop.

This film?

Starts out slow, and builds to an expected (mostly) climax that is fitting for the movie.

It's a black comedy/biting satire of our culture today, and really, many of the points made in this movie are valid.

Tell me that what they do to their version of the "Westboro Church", while patently illegal, wouldn't garner much sympathy with any jury in America.

Yep, I was a fan of this film from start to finish.  I may have to look and see what else Bobcat has been up to.

Now Streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime as of this writing.


Final Grade: B+

Would I Own It: Probably not own it, but I could watch it again someday, definitely.


No comments:

Post a Comment