Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"Lay the Favorite" in the Do Not Watch Pile

It sounded good on paper...

The Story:

Beth (Rebecca Hall) comes to Vegas to work as a cocktail waitress.  She instead gets hired by Dink (Bruce Willis) to help him with his gambling business.  This doesn't sit well with Dink's wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones) who wants the girl out of their lives.  Yet she seems to be helping Dink make some serious cash, so Dink is torn...  and the movie keeps going...

I don't know what to say about this one.

So yesterday, Bruce Willis is barely in a direct to DVD outing that is actually pretty good.
Today, he's in a direct to DVD movie that is a rambling mess.

Not funny enough to be a comedy.
Not dramatic enough to be a drama.

Not anything really.  I wouldn't even call it a dramedy. 

The acting chops of Willis, Zeta-Jones and Vince Vaughn are all for naught in this film.

I ended up watching this at 1.5x, and it still took forever to finish.

Save your time, save your queue rotation... skip this one.

Final Grade: D+

Would I Own It: I wouldn't bet on it.  You see what I did there?  That's funnier than any joke in this movie.  True story!

No comments:

Post a Comment