Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I Might As Well... Jump! "Man on a Ledge"

I am...an innocent man...

The story of a man inspired by a Billy Joel lyric...

The Story:

Nick (Sam Worthington) is a cop who was falsely accused, or so he claims, of stealing a diamond from a ruthless businessman (Ed Harris).  On the run, he brings to fruition a scheme with his little brother (Jamie Bell) to steal the diamond...for the first time... to prove that Nick is innocent.  To do this, Nick stands on a ledge of a hotel and threatens to jump.  This very public display is going to be Nick's second trial, and he's going to prove he's innocent... or die trying!

I will be honest, I loved this movie the second I saw the trailer.

When I finally saw the movie, it was just as good, if not better, than the trailer had promised.

So for those that say Hollywood never comes up with anything new, this was pretty new to me.

Or at least, it wasn't a sequel, wasn't a toy/comic franchise, wasn't a remake... so that's pretty new in my book.

Ed Harris is gleefully slimey as the bad guy.  In his career, he's played both sides of the law, but I think he relishes the turns when he's not wearing the white hat more often than not.

I am a fan of Sam Worthington, at least in making Clash and Wrath of the Titans watchable fun.  Count me as one of the 17 people on Earth to have not seen, nor really have any interest in seeing Avatar, and there you have it.

Also, well done to Elizabeth Banks who holds her own as a police negotiator who is in a deep downward spiral, but Nick feels he can trust her more than any other policeman on the force and insists she is brought in for the job.

Count me as a fan of this movie.

Final Grade: A-

Rewatchability/Purchase Potential: Extremely rewatchable, in fact I just watched it within the last week, thus the review.  And yes, I own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment