Tuesday, August 7, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 63 ~ The Sandlot






Baseball returns to the list.

But really, it's another coming of age story, like Grease, that proves that living "back then" was actually pretty cool.

And even though I didn't live back then, I still enjoyed my fair share of Sandlot-esque adventures.  The kind of things I would never let my kids do today. 

Walk a few miles from home to a cemetary...sure thing...  Yeah, stuff like that.

The story itself is pretty simple.  A new kid in a small town who meets the neighbors.  They all play baseball, but this kid just can't seem to do it.  Most want him gone, because he simply doesn't get it.  But the star of the team, Benny, gives the kid a chance and helps him come along.

The movie tells the tale of an important summer in their lives, the likes of which shoves everything that could possibly happen in a magical summer, and rolls it into one crazy adventure after another.

It's really a great movie.  While marketed for kids, it's a film that the whole family can enjoy together.  Seems like a lot of those made this list.  : )

Even if you don't like baseball, give this one a whirl.  It's simply a catalyst for many of the adventures that the group will share.  It's a fun ride, I think you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment