Wednesday, August 15, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 55 ~ Sneakers






I think I made it clear early on, that I'm a big fan of caper movies.  This list could easily replace Star Wars, and have a tie at the end with movies like the Italian Job or Fast & Furious that didn't make the cut.

What was I thinking?

But anyway, the caper film.  Love 'em!  I could watch them all day, which is why they keep coming back up on the countdown, whether they made it or not.

Sneakers made it.

An all-star cast is often the sign of a bloated movie that fails, but this is one of those exceptions that proves sometimes magic can happen when you stir in a whole lot of familiar faces and give them a great script.

And this one has greatness in spades!

Robert Redford leads the cast as Martin Bishop, a man who specializes in cracking uncrackable codes.  His team of questionable partners helps businesses/banks shore up their vulnerabilities.

Then one day the government comes calling, and reminding Mr. Bishop that he has a past that he hasn't quite escaped from.  If he's willing to do one little job...

They can make his problems all go away.

And thus begins the very start of all of his problems!

Helping Bishop are an ex-Fed (Sidney Poitier), a conspiracy theorist (Dan Aykroyd) a kid (River Phoenix) and a blind man (David Strathairn).

I won't lie, I think Whistler is my favorite, which explains why he gets  pictured and the Facebook quote while Redford takes a backseat.

: )

Hopefully this a gem that someone hasn't seen yet, and you'll get a kick out of watching it.  Or perhaps I've reminded you of the film, and you'll go dust off a copy and have a good time.

No More Secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment