Saturday, August 25, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 45 ~ Get Shorty






"Look at me."

Today, Travolta returns to the countdown, and brings a sensational cast with him in the Mobs & Movies picture, Get Shorty.

As I've done with most of my "movie reviews" for the Top 100, I don't so much as review it, as mention a few reasons why they make my list.

It serves a dual purpose.

First, you get an idea of the types of movies I like.  If you like the same movies I mention, then if I recommend a movie, you can think...hey, he was right about this one...and hopefully I don't disappoint.

Two, if you haven't seen the movie, I hopefully have not spoiled it for you.

The plot to Get Shorty is one that if I were to explain it, on paper, it would sound ridiculously insane.  But when you watch it unfold on the screen, it works...and then some.

This movie has great direction, and great acting.  It's an all-star cast, that doesn't feel like they said, hey we have to get a star for every part.

So immersed in their roles, you buy into the movie: hook, line and sinker.

Plus, it's not just the primaries (Travolta, Rene Russo, Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito) but the secondary characters are great actors in their own right that you will recognize by face, if not by name.

Pick a genre for this film, and you're probably right.  It truly defies classification, but notably falls under Comedy because the movie IS funny.  It's also dramatic, noir-ish, action, drama, romance...

Yeah, this one has it all.

The sequel was less spectacular, to be kind.  But Get Shorty remains a great character study in acting and storytelling, and remains a popular favorite to replay when the kids aren't around.

No comments:

Post a Comment