Monday, August 6, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 64 ~ His Girl Friday






For those that complained that apparently only good movies were made during my lifetime...

Well, you're half right.

The majority of the movies that are on this list are indeed released during my lifetime.  Can't help that, it's what I've seen, it's what I've enjoyed.

That said, I have seen plenty of movies released before I was...some even so old.... they are in black and white!

The horror!

Today marks the first entry on that list:  His Girl Friday.

It's the perfect example of a 30s/40s screwball romantic comedy.

In this one, ex-husband who is an editor realizes his best reporter, and ex-wife, is about to be married to someone else.  That simply won't do, because he still cares for her very much, and if only there was some way to keep her from getting married, perhaps the old sparks could rekindle...

And you get the idea.

Naturally, you need the consummate gentleman actor to play the lead, so cue Cary Grant.  One of the best actors of any generation, Cary Grant oozes suave awesomeness on the screen.  If any man can be half the gentleman that Grant portrayed onscreen, your romantic problems are pretty much over.

He is matched for intensity, and in many scenes, line for line with Rosalind Russell as his ex.  She can play reporter like nobody's business, and they both know it.

Thankfully, a top story keeps the two intertwined for a bit longer than she would prefer while she covers the story.

I don't think in this age of blogs and internet news that this story could be remade in modern times.  But for a paper, it's perfect.

The rapid-fire dialogue is a staple of the screwball comedies of the day.  I appreciated this first through the dialogue in "Moonlighting" and then discovered they didn't invent it when I began my trek down memory lane, Hollywood style.

If you're never seen it, give it a whirl.  You might just like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment