Thursday, August 23, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 47 ~ Thor






Never.

That's when I thought a movie starring the Marvel Comics version of Thor would be released on the Silver Screen in my lifetime.

Remember, I'm a child of the 70s that grew up with the cheesy Spider-Man show, and about the only thing that Marvel could hang its hat on was the pretty darn cool Hulk television show.

Fast forward to the 90s/00s, and Marvel properties began hitting the screen to impressive showings (Spider-Man and the X-Men), but there were a few clunkers along the way (Daredevil & Ghost Rider, I'm looking at you).

And then...

Marvel said, enough of this, we're doing it ourselves.

Oh boy.  It's either sink or swim at this point, and Marvel literally cannonballed into the deep end when they released Iron Man.

Grand Slam (oh my, another baseball reference!) the first time out, and the future of which all remaining Marvel movies would be judged.

Now, as it just so happens, Iron Man, belonging to the Avengers, falls into the category of my favorite characters, ever.  Trust me, I've been giddy with excitement and nervousness knowing that it's the true heroes of Marvel that are getting the Marvel Studios treatment.  Yes, I get that everyone knows Spider-Man and the X-Men, but truthfully, my day begins and ends with the heroes that call Avengers Mansion...

Home.

So when it was announced that Thor was coming next...and it would be directed by Kenneth Branaugh and star Anthony Hopkins as Odin...

Well, needless to say, I was both awed and nervous as well.  Anything less than Iron Man could be seen as a failure.

Starring Chris Hemsworth...who?...as Thor.  And Tom Hiddleston .... who?...as Loki.

That's a whole lotta no-name brand going into the story of the God of Thunder.

The story is straight up from the comics:  Odin must teach his son a lesson in humility so he strips him of his powers and sends him to Earth.  Granted, much of the story gets fiddled with to condense it to movie storytelling, but that's the basic premise of the story.

But they did it, and it worked!

No, it didn't light the box office on fire, but it didn't arrive with a thundering dud, either.

No, instead, the 3rd Branch of the Avengers Tree was revealed.  That left only Captain America to come, and complete the founding of the Avengers.

And Marvel would hope that the audiences would respond accordingly.

I think that worked out okay as well.

If memory serves, the biggest complaint about Thor was the casting of "gods of color" in the film.

Trust me, if they can change the color and origin of Nick Fury, I've got no issues with some minor characters in the Thor mythos.

Sometimes, the comic nerds need to just let it go.

Be impressed that something that NEVER should have EVER existed in our lifetime is here, to see, and to share, with our children.

Assuming you are the comic nerds that are married and well adjusted, and not the stereotypes that live in your Mom's basement...

Then I'm barking up the wrong tree completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment