Tuesday, August 28, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 42 ~ Rush Hour






The following review is G-14 Classified....


Another day...another unconventional choice for a Top 100 list.

Jackie Chan returns to the countdown in another "Buddy Picture".  This time, he's a cop from Hong Kong (please, stretch your imagination to make this work...) and he gets teamed with L.A.s most obnoxious cop: Chris Tucker.  Together they will solve the crime that the rest of the FBI is unable to solve.  If they survive the bad guys...and each other.

I've mentioned it before, I am a big fan of the buddy picture.  This isn't my first foray on the list... and it won't be the last, either.

Where to begin?

Jackie Chan.  I love Jackie Chan.  Ever since Cannonball Run, I thought he was an awesome little daredevil.  Until Rumble in the Bronx, I hadn't seen much from him.  Luckily with the success of that film, many of his other films became available for me to watch, and I've seen many.  Some were great...some good...some...meh.

But at the end of the day, I still love me some Jackie Chan.  He gets to play the fish out of water who learns a few things, and teaches a few things to his brash partner.  Which leads us to...

Chris Tucker.  My first exposure to Mr. Tucker was in The Fifth Element.  He was annoying...and yet funny...  Amazingly, I realize he is simply playing Christ Tucker. : )  Again, same character traits in Rush Hour, but with a little more humor and action than I had seen before.

For the record, unlike many sequels, I also enjoyed Rush Hour 2, and 3.  3 more than 2.  Your mileage of course may vary.

Finally, Brett Ratner, the director of the trilogy.

I will not apologize for the fact that I have enjoyed ever Brett Ratner film I've ever watched.  All 3 Rush Hours, The Family Man (which I believe I mentioned just missed making this list), After the Sunset, Tower Heist and yes, X-Men 3.  Actually, I may have enjoyed X-3 better than the first 2 installments.

So there.

And if they decide to make a Rush Hour 4, that's fine with me, because I will be more than happy to add it my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment