Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Buddy Comedy Redux... "Ted"


Naughty little bear...


The Story:

John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) makes a wish when he's a little boy that his little bear, Ted (Seth Macfarlane), could be his bestest friend forever.  And magically, it happens.  Ted becomes famous for a bit, but fame for a stuffed talking bear is fleeting, and 20+ years later, both are still not growing up, much to the dismay of John's girlfriend (Mila Kunis).

Your mileage may vary...

Chalk me up as not a Seth Macfarlane fan.  Nope, I don't watch Family Guy, or any of the other funny cartoons aimed at grown ups.  Yes, I've seen some before, yes, they can be both hysterical, and awful, sometimes at the same time.

Now instead of being animated, it's a live action buddy comedy with a CGI bear.

It is funny, but again, many of the jokes/situations simply try too hard to push the envelope and really go nowhere for me.  It's like the joke is funny... so let's add another and try and make it funnier...and another...and let's keep pushing...

And at that point, you've lost me for humor and are going for cheap laughs.

I'm willing to laugh, but I'm not cheap.

Nor am I easy.

: )

The funnier moments were all centered around John.  Mark Wahlberg plays great in comic roles, and I think a lot of people forget that as he often gets typecast in the action flicks.

In the end, it's a really charming story buried under crude humor, for the sake of being crude.

That kills any hope of being enjoyed around these parts.

In other words, I'm not sticking my hand in a steaming pile of crap to attempt to find a jewel.  I'll take your word that it's there.


Final Grade: C+

Would I Own It: Nope, but I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment