Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday Streaming Classics: The Odd Couple

After the play, but before the tv show...

The Story:

Neat-freak Felix Unger (Jack Lemmon) finds out his wife wants a divorce after 12 years of marriage.  Despondent, he heads out to kill himself, but is unsuccessful.  Luckily for him, one of his best friends, Oscar Madison (Walter Matthau) offers him a place to stay while he gets back on his feet.  Also divorced, he's got tons of room, or at least so he thinks.  Oscar is a bit of a slob, and it won't be long before the two friends come to blows in this comedy based on the stage play by Neil Simon.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

It's a lot like M.A.S.H. for me, sort of.

With MASH: I grew up watching the television show, enjoyed it, still have fond memories of it and catch the occasional rerun.  Saw the movie finally when I was older, and was underwhelmed.  I liked the show better.

With the Odd Couple, I know I watched it, I still remember the opening theme, and watching Tony Randall pluck that cigar with the end of his umbrella.

Other than that...  not a whole lot of memories.

Saw the movie, and there was the theme song, other than that...meh.

It was okay.  Lemmon and Matthau are great at what they do, they always were.  They do a great job with what they are given.  Some of the bits are inspired. 

Otherwise, it simply...was.

I see how they were able to get the tv show going, keep the boys together and keep letting the boys duke it out verbally.


Here, there is definite closure, with both being better off for having lived together for a short period of time.

End of story, curtain.

Just like a play.

Final Grade: C+  (I know, I feel like a heel for giving it such a low grade...)

Would I Own It:  Nope, this viewing was good enough for me.

Available to stream instantly on Netflix as of this writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment