Friday, September 14, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 25 ~ 10 Things I Hate About You





Today's movie is a modern-day twist on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew".  10  Things I Hate About You did the right thing though, and kept the intent of Shakespeare's play, and dialogue as needed, but otherwise updated the language so that it played like "normal teenagers" talking.

More or less.

I've seen other Shakespearean adaptations that try to bring the Bard to "now", but insist on keeping his speeches intact.  While I appreciate what they are trying to do, it normally fails in execution and really can pull you out of the moment.

For those that are not familiar with the play, or the movie... sheesh... how do you summarize this plot without giving away all of the fun?

The new guy in school, Cameron, wants to date the prettiest girl he's ever seen, Bianca.  Except that she cannot date, unless her older sister, Kat, is also dating.  Needless to say, Kat is not interested in dating whatsoever.  So Cameron and his best friend enlist the aid of the rich ne'er-do-well to pay someone else, Patrick Verona, to take Kat out on dates.  He does this, thinking that he will have a shot at dating Bianca, but Cameron is hoping to secretly win her heart.

Eh, close enough, right?

So, let's see, starring as Cameron was Joseph Gordon Levitt, the "It" Guy of the moment.  I remember him from Angels in the Outfield, but this would really be his big silver screen moment.

And no, I didn't watch Third Rock from the Sun, so there's that for the rest of you.

Next up, Julia Stiles as the Shrew, Kat.  For me, this is her finest role, because otherwise, I'm just not that big a fan of hers.

Quite possibly, the biggest star at the time, was David Krumholtz as Michael, the best friend.  He was Bernard the Elf from The Santa Clause, so his was a face I was already familiar with.

My favorite character would have to be the dad, as envisioned by Larry Miller, I laugh at every scene he's in.

Finally, what can I begin to say about Heath Ledger?  File him under the same category as Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds.  This was the first movie I saw Ledger in, and I was an instant fan.  As Patrick, he is funny, sensitive, angry and a very complex character.  Everyone thinks they know him, but no one is even close.

A Knight's Tale came very close to making this list as well, really on the strong performance that he gave in that role as well.

Sadly, a talent taken too soon from movie fans around the globe.  It would have been a tremendous body of work he could have created over the next 30-50 years...

But, don't dwell on the negative.  Enjoy the fun body of work that Ledger and company created here.  Their big breaks, in a lot of cases.  And one that is a blast to watch and holds up just as well today.

You have to give some credit to Shakespeare I would imagine.

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment