Wednesday, September 12, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 27 ~ Lethal Weapon

 
 
 
The buddy picture.

Or more specifically, the buddy cop picture.

It's been represented by Jackie Chan (twice) thus far.

And while there have been similar films before, and since, I will hold this one up as the blueprint for how to do it correctly.

The adventures of a pair of polar opposite detectives: Suicidal crazy-man Riggs, and straight-laced family man Murtaugh are on the case, and the bad guys had better watch out.  Because if these two don't kill each other first, the bad guys won't stand a chance!

And yeah, that's like the plot, in a nutshell.

It might seem formulaic, and on the surface it is, but as any great chemistry experiment will tell you, when you get a good formula, it works.

So you start with my favorite director, Richard Donner triumphantly returns to the countdown.  He takes a tight script and turns it loose with these two stars.

First, Mel Gibson.  Again, I'm not here to judge Mel on anything but what he does on screen.  I would have to say this was his first big break, in a real bona-fide action vehicle, if you want to discount the 3rd Mad Max sequel, and I'm fairly certain that most filmgoers do.

So yes, I would say Mad Max (# 2) brought Gibson to attention, and his next films proved he could act, but it was Lethal Weapon that turned him into a star.  You believe the desperation and manic ability that he brings to the screen.

Likewise, Danny Glover is the polar opposite to Gibson.  For me, I knew Glover from Silverado (just missed the countdown) but it seems like that's a pretty nice gig to really get your first starring, or at least co-starring role with this franchise.

Much like Superman, Donner is going to get you with some no-names or familiar faces, and let the story bring you along.

He succeeds.

And in the process, made an unconventional Christmas movie that still holds up today.

As for the rest of the franchise, aside from Chris Rock in the 4th film, I'm still a big fan.  Chris Rock is annoying.  Can he be funny? Yes.  A broken clock can be right twice a day also, but I would prefer one that works.

I would have preferred another actor in that role.

That's all I'm saying.

And Joe Pesci?  Leo Getz is awesome.

: )

I believe I've already mentioned that I love Rene Russo, so yeah, I'm a big fan of the entire franchise from start to finish, which I don't always say about every movie series I've seen (especially ones where George Lucas is involved...).

No comments:

Post a Comment