Tuesday, September 11, 2012

100 Greatest Movies of All Time...That I Own. # 28 ~ Monster's Inc.




Today is a bittersweet day on the countdown.

It's the final appearance by Pixar, and it also marks my personal favorite film that they've done:  Monster's Inc.

Sad to see Pixar go, happy to see this one come up, because it is my favorite of their catalog.

Nearly every movie they've worked on could easily fit on a Greatest Movies ever listing.

The Toy Story franchise... so great, it was hard to decide which installment to pick.
A Bug's Life got mentioned with the Magnificent Seven.
Finding Nemo...meh...another one where if the kid would just listen to their parents, a whole lot of trouble would be avoided.  Lumped in with Little Mermaid...looks great...sucky message. : )
Cars and Cars 2... didn't think it would be good, impressed with how good they really were.
Ratatouille... again, there is no way that a movie about a cooking rat should be this good...just missed the list.
Wall*E...great movie...just missed the cut.
Up... the greatest love story in cinematic history plays out in the first few minutes of the film.  Bring tissues.  Missed the cut.
Brave...I have yet to see, but looks great.

So why do I choose a story about a group of Monsters who scare children for a living?

One word: Boo.

Monster's Inc. arrived in 2001, and my youngest daughter at the time...

Looked. Just. Like. Boo.

Still does. : )

She was my Boo. I was her "Kitty".

Yes, I get emotional every time I watch the film, and weep like a little girl at the end. : * )

Don't judge me!!

So yes, the emotional connection is strong with me on this film.

Besides that...

It's freakin' hilarious!

I make no secrets that I think Billy Crystal is one of the funniest comedians/actors ever to grace the Silver Screen.

This is his first spot on the countdown, and he will be back again inside the Top 25, at least once.  There were another 3 to 4 movies I easily considered for this list... but I don't know if they technically could be called Greatest Movies of All Time.  Goodest of All Time maybe, if Goodest was a word. 

But with my Greatest, I try and stack them in the order of if had 100 chances to prove what makes movies great, these are the selections I'm beaming to Mars, or putting in a time capsule... they just don't quite make the cut.  An example: Forget Paris.  Cute movie. Great actors, funny dialogue... but probably not the Greatest romantic comedy ever made.

And so it goes...

But no.

Monster's Inc. is funny. Check.  Sweet, check. Has a great foil to the good guys, check.  Steve Buscemi owns the role as Randall, the evil monster.  And James Coburn's voice is in fine form as the Monster at the head of all the chaos.

Excited about the "prequel" coming from Pixar.  Disappointed that Boo won't be there, but it looks like the charm and fun of the first movie are all going to be intact.

And I'll watch it with my Boo and be happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment