Sunday, June 28, 2015

We've All Had Days Like "Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"

Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014)

Rated PG

Starring Steve Carell, Jennifer Garner, Ed Oxenbould, Dylan Minnette, Kerris Dorsey,

Directed by Miguel Arteta

The Story:

The Coopers (Carrell, Garner, Minnette and Dorsey) have a pretty good life. All except for Alexander (Oxenbould), who feels that he has a pretty bad day (see story title), every day!  So naturally on his birthday, he makes a wish on his cupcake that for once, his family could feel what it's like to not have a perfect day.

Remember kids, be careful what you wish for!

Okay, admittedly I rolled my eyes when I heard this was being adapted into a movie. I vaguely remember the book from my youth, and I'm not sure I've ever read it to my kids when they were growing up.

But from what I remember, there's no way that book becomes a movie.

However, put the ball in the other court, and show the rest of his perfect family having a very not-so perfect day, and you've struck gold.

Or, at least with my rating, how about silver?

It's a perfectly fine family comedy, but isn't that what we've come to expect from Disney over the years?

Carell gets some amusing gags throughout the film, and Garner has an exceptional bit with legendary Dick Van Dyke.

And if there is any wonder on whether or not the Coopers can turn it all around before the credits roll...

Well, this isn't  your first Disney film, is it?

: )

Final Grade: B-


No comments:

Post a Comment