Thursday, January 17, 2013

While Not "Pitch Perfect", It's Pretty Darn Good!

First, let me tell you that I do not watch Glee.

Tried the very first episode, found it to be painfully unfunny, and have never bothered to try it again.


I do however, enjoy singing.


: )

The Story:

Barden College is home to several a capella singing groups.  The Bellas, an all-girl team are trying to recover from a disastrous showing the year prior.  Their main competition is the Treblemakers, and all-male group who won the year before.  The incoming Freshman class will try to break in, and maybe shake up the competition along the way.  The main character, Beca (Anna Kendrick) doesn't want to be in college, or singing, but since her dad is a professor at the school, her education is free. 

Or in other words:

It's "Bring it On = A Capella Style!"

Which is probably how it was pitched, and very much how the movie plays out.

Yes, I admit, I've seen Bring it On.  I watch a lot of movies. :)  But the first one wasn't that bad.  I don't recall having seen any of the subsequent sequels, and I doubt I'll ever catch the Broadway Musical of the same name.

But back to THIS movie.

It's pretty funny.

And the singing is pretty good as well.  I'm assuming all of the actors involved did their own singing, otherwise they lip synch really well for what they are doing.

For a moment, I thought that the main characters were all going to band together and form a rival 5th major singing group, but that didn't happen, and that is probably for the best.

Otherwise, the story takes a logical, and fairly slow hand at watching the groups and characters mature throughout their first year together.  It culminates at the finals, where unlike Bring it On, the team that wins really had the better routine. : )

Thumbs up to the entire cast.  I had only seen a few of them in other roles until this movie, but they all did a great job and I look forward to seeing many of them in future roles on the big screen.

The most memorable performance will undoubtedly go to Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy.  She is hilarious throughout, and has most of the great lines in the film.

Yep, I hate to say it, but I would have to recommend this film for rental.


Don't judge me!

: )

Overall: 4 out of 5 for a Solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment