Tuesday, January 22, 2013

If "Looper" Gets Higher Than a D-... Then You Know I've Successfully Altered the Future!

Time traveling hitmen!

Mostly...

The Story:

In the future, time travel hasn't been invented  yet, but it will.  In the future's future.  But for now, folks in the past kill bad guys in the future and dispose of the bodies.  One day, they will kill themselves, and then enjoy 30 years of life until such time as they go back in time and are killed by themselves, thus closing the loop.

Got it?

Good.

The problem: our hero, Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) pauses long enough when Old Joe (Bruce Willis) arrives without the customary hood and bound hands and Joe hesitates long enough to not kill him. 

Old Joe has arrived to change the future, providing he doesn't stop himself from doing it in the first place.

I think I failed myself with this film.  I let the overheard hype of its greatness, plus the fact of Bruce Willis' awesomeness set me up for failure.

The movie was good, if not a bit rambling and long.  20 minutes trimmed could have tightened this film tremendously.

So yes, good, but not great.

The performances by Levitt and Willis are just fine.

The time travel conundrums posed in the film are fine, and the way to change the future is well done at the end of the film.

Recommended for a viewing, but I cannot endorse a purchase for this film at this time.


Perhaps that will change when I come back from the future and convince myself that this film deserves a higher grade.


Final Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment