Friday, April 7, 2017

Unimpressed Sums It Up..."Nocturnal Animals"


Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Rated R

Starring Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Isla Fisher, Armie Hammer,

Directed by Tom Ford

The Story:

Susan Morrow (Adams) is a wealthy art gallery owner. She is married to Hutton (Hammer), but was previously married to Tony (Gyllenhaal). Well, Tony has sent his ex-wife a manuscript for his upcoming novel to read. It's called Nocturnal Animals. As Susan reads it, it's a very intense work that may also be an allegory to his time being married to Susan.

Cue the intrigue.

Ah yes, the old "story within a story" effect.

This time, instead of a movie or tv show taking place, it's a novel being read.

Gyllenhaal gets double duty as both flashbacks to the time with his wife, and also as the main character of the book.

Except I was bored by all of the characters within the first 10 minutes.

I was actually ready to turn it off during the opening credits.

Watching obese naked women dance on platforms is actually not my idea of a good time.

But that's art! As presented at Susan's gallery, I was already put off before the movie even begins.

Then as each new character is introduced, I really didn't see any reason to care for them, or want to see where the story was going.

Great actors, don't get me wrong.

Just put into a storyline I really had no ambition to soldier through to the end.

Then as I'm doing research on the film, it's one of those arthouse "best of the year...accolade after accolade" films.

So apparently, maybe I'm just not highbrow enough of a movie snob to appreciate what's sitting in front of me, and I would be happier watching an Adam Sandler movie.

Well, I did watch the Waterboy again a few days later, so yeah, maybe.

: )

Your mileage may vary, but this one was ejected and tossed on the scrap heap for worst of the year consideration.

Final Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment