Monday, April 10, 2017

I Can't Believe They Made A "Trolls" Movie


Trolls (2016)

Rated PG

Starring Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, Zooey Deschanel, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Christine Baranski,

Directed by Walt Dohrn & Mike Mitchell

The Story:

The trolls are the happiest little critters that live in the woods. The Bergens are the most miserable. When they discover that they can become happy by eating trolls, well, you can pretty much guess that the trolls are going to have to work really hard to have a happy ending to this film!

I never saw a preview for this film. No trailers. No anything.

I heard it was coming, and I thought, really? Trolls? Those little ugly dolls from when I was growing up?

Really?

How is Dreamworks going to make this into a film?

And this is Dreamworks, and aside from Shrek, they make some pretty fun movies, but it will likely tank at the box office.

But hey, that Justin Timberlake song is pretty catchy, so what the heck, I'll rent it for the kids.

So I did.

Then I watched it.

Oh my goodness.

No matter what I was expecting, which admittedly wasn't much, I was blown away with how much fun and enjoyment I had watching this one.

It was cute. It was silly. It was fun.

It was a musical!

And in a good way, where the songs enhance the story, not become the story.

A mix of new songs and some classics mixed in for fun, it's easy to be swept up by the proceedings and you'll be as happy as Poppy (Kendrick) as the movie rolls along. Accompanied on her journey is Branch (Timberlake) the one troll in the kingdom who doesn't share the affinity of optimism and happiness that all the other trolls embody.

Yep, you get sucked in to this fun little world, and if you're not careful, you'll get sucker-punched by an emotional wallop late in the film.

I know I did.

When "True Colors" is sung, the reaction is heartfelt and genuine.

I still get a little misty-eyed thinking about it.

So, once again, well done Dreamworks.

I enjoyed this one so much, I bought it.

"For the kids".

:)

Following Storks, this looks to be a really fun year for animated films, with 2 very different, very unexpected films vying for Best of the Year honors.

 Final Grade:  B+

No comments:

Post a Comment