Thursday, May 12, 2016

You'll Feel Yourself Aging Watching "While We're Young"


While We're Young (2014)

Rated R

Starring Ben Stiller, Naomi Watts, Adam Driver, Amanda Seyfried, Charles Grodin

Written and Directed by Noah Baumbach

The Story:

Josh and Cornelia (Stiller & Watts) are in their mid-40s, they've got no kids and they are just going through the motions in their relationship while all of their friends are having kids. Josh has been working on his documentary for nearly a decade but is struggling to finish. Into their lives breeze Jamie and Darby (Driver & Seyfried) and Jamie is also an aspiring documentarian and they get to know each other and begin hanging out. Life starts to change as the 40s and the 20s begin to mesh and mold with one another.

Meh.

It's not funny enough to be a comedy.

It's not dramatic or engaging enough to be a full on drama.

You can also see where the movie is going as Jamie may not be as honest as Josh thinks he is, but that's a realization that he has to come to on his own.

The movie also takes a rather gross turn midway through the movie as vomiting becomes an extended long scene that is neither amusing nor engaging.

I even debate as I write this as to whether the movie gets a passing grade or winds up on the worst of the year list, and quite honestly, I still don't know.

There was one really great line about the documentary that Josh was working on, delivered impeccably by Charles Grodin:

You just showed me a 6 1/2 hour movie that was 7 hours too long.

Thankfully this one was just a bit over 90 minutes, but there were several times, especially like the puking scene, where I was wondering why I was still even watching this film.

After I finished watching the movie, I see that it was streaming on Amazon Prime. Streaming, I would have definitely clicked this one off and found something else to watch.

I guess that decides it...

Final Grade: D+ it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment