Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Because 'Surfing Burglars' Would've Been A Dumb Name For "Point Break"



Point Break (1991)

Rated R

Starring Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey, Lori Petty, John C. McGinley,

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow

The Story:

Johnny Utah (Reeves) has joined the FBI, and his first assignment, he wants a crack at the Ex-Presidents, a gang who have been robbing banks in California. He teams with burnout Pappas (Busey) who has a crazy theory that the robbers are surfers. Utah goes undercover and meets Bodhi (Swayze), a charismatic surfer who may be the mastermind behind the crime sprees. The deeper Utah gets, the more his loyalties will be questioned.

Whoa.

Obligatory Keanu joke out of the way.

How did I not see this film in 25 years?

Easy, it didn't seem like that great of a film, so I wasn't in any hurry.

Then I saw the previews for the Point Break remake, and I thought to myself, seriously?

Let's see what all the fuss is about.

2 hours later...

I still don't see what all the fuss was about.

: )

The film is an okay action flick, and it is buoyed considerably by the charisma of Swayze and Reeves.

And say what you will about Keanu's ability to act (or not act...) looking over the resumes of several actors, I'll take his output and performance over, say, Johnny Depp, any day.

Swazye also has an effortless charm onscreen, and it makes me wonder why I've also never bothered to watch Dirty Dancing or Road House?

Perhaps when those remakes come calling, I'll be back!

Plus, you get the over-the-top crazy that is Gary Busey, plus John McGinley playing a first class tool, so what's not to love?

Otherwise, a little dated, but fun nonetheless, you can definitely do worse if you're looking for 90s action flicks.

For those that haven't seen it in the last 25 years (!!!!), maybe you'll want to revisit this one.

We'll find out how the remake fares against the original, tomorrow!

Final Grade:  C+

No comments:

Post a Comment