Monday, November 10, 2014

Much Ado About Nothing... "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

Rated PG

Starring Steve Martin, Michael Caine

Directed by Frank Oz

The Story:

 Lawrence (Caine) is a big-time con man who lives on the Riviera, preying on the rich women who fall for his cons and shower him with riches. Into his life, and town, comes Freddy (Martin) a small-timer who has big dreams of conning his way across the Riviera. He tries learning from Lawrence, but the two just cannot get along, so they instead attempt one last con, and the loser must leave the beautiful town they are in.

Meh.

Surprisingly, I had never seen this film.

Released in the 80s, Steve Martin as star, you'd have thought I would own this one and watch it repeatedly.

However, you would be wrong.

Never got around to it.

Couldn't really tell you why, something about this movie never clicked with me.

So I see it available to stream this weekend, and think, now's the time!

Then boredom set in.

There's no denying Caine or Martin's presence in the film, but really, there just isn't anything that grabs me and makes me want to keep watching.

By the time they get ready to star the competition, nearly an hour has drug out, and there's still an hour to go.

I'm guessing that if you loved it then, you still love it.

As I have no affection for it, it strikes me as indifferent.

Ah well, c'est la vie.
 
Now streaming on Netflix as of this writing.

Final Grade: C

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I waited a quarter of a century to watch it. It will be much longer before I do so again.

No comments:

Post a Comment