Saturday, February 15, 2014

You Say You Want A (Musical) Revolution Weekend... "The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles"


The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles

Feb 9th, 1964.

Ed Sullivan introduced the Fab Four to North America.

The world was never the same.

While the Beatles didn't create Rock & Roll, they did redefine it.

50 Years later, the Grammys pulls out an all-star tribute to the Beatles.

Here's some thoughts I had as the extravaganza unfolded...

First, I don't think I will poke too many holes in the performers that got up on stage and offered their renditions.  Some more faithful than others.  Some that were cleverly repackaged.

Why?

Well, it's two-fold.

First, it takes some nerves to get up on stage that is pandering to an audience filled with other singers and celebrities and saying "I'm going to do a Beatles song!"

Then, multiply that by infinity, because you're also doing this performance in front of Paul and Ringo!

As the cameraman caught all throughout the night, Paul McCartney loves to singalong to the Beatles songs.  I would imagine it's reflex.

Next, I think they really, really, really missed out by not having Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon get up on stage and perform at least one number with Paul and Ringo.  It would have been surreal and awesome.  Surreally awesome, even!



Loved the backstage interviews with the crew that was there on that night, as well as Letterman's interviews with Paul and Ringo back on the actual Ed Sullivan stage where it all began.

It could have used some editing, and it sounds like a DVD could come out with the trimmed for time footage.

I wish they would have aired the Beatles entire performance on the Ed Sullivan show, but again, perhaps they will add that to the DVD.

I think they could also do without so much showing the audience during these shows.  I'm not watching to see what other people think of musicians singing.  I want to see them singing.

Otherwise you end up panning to Tom Hanks awkwardly caught not singing to Hey Jude at the end.

Tsk tsk Mr. Hanks.

Final Grade: A-

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I don't think I'll buy it on DVD, but I've got it recorded and there were a few numbers worth revisiting in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment