Tuesday, January 21, 2014

If The Shue Fits... "Adventures in Babysitting"



Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Rated PG-13 for Language

Starring Elisabeth Shue, Maia Brewton, Keith Coogan, Anthony Rapp, Penelope Ann Miller

Directed by Chris Columbus

Recognize the poster by Drew Struzan? :)

The Story:

Chris (Shue) is going to babysit 3 kids (Brewton, Coogan, Rapp) when her date (Bradley Whitford) stands her up.  Ah, but one fateful call from best friend Brenda (Miller) sets the foursome out on the wilds of Chicago to pick her up from the bus station.  Naturally, one crazy night filled with mishaps and adventures ensues.  Will they survive the night and make it back to the suburbs in one piece?

Rose colored glasses need not apply to this review.

I remember watching a bit of this back in 1987. 

I was mostly bored.
Uh-Oh...This Review Won't End Well...

Fast forward over 25 years later and I caught this one again and thought, hey, maybe I was too young  or preoccupied to care for this cimematic classic.

Nope.

Still mostly bored.

:)

Don't get me wrong, there was a few good gags and chuckles along the way, but for the most part, I am indifferent to the film.


I'll admit, the random needing to sing the blues to get out of the club was a pretty funny scene.

Possibly the Best Part of the Movie


For those that this was ingrained as an important part of your 80s viewing habits, rock on.

Much like Say Anything, I wonder if I had watched it and enjoyed it at the time, if I wouldn't be singing a different tune.   Then it would be a classic for me instead of "meh, it was okay, but nothing special..."

I suppose I could try again...

I'll save it for the 50 year anniversary.

:)

Final Grade: C+

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: Nah, but I can at least cross another 80s film I've never seen off the list.  One step closer to finally seeing E.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment