Thursday, November 22, 2012

Top 5 "Turkeys" of 2012






With just over a month to go, I figured I would take a minute to look back at the worst movies that I've endured, or at least, attempted to get through over the last calendar year.  Looking back at the Netflix Queue, both instant and delivery, a whopping 18 movies received a 2 star rating from me, which signifies that I didn't like it.

By comparison, 31 movies are currently in the running for Best Films of 2012, so I have a pretty good average.  I don't count the 3 star movies, that would take too long.

: )

With just about every movie on this list, I couldn't stomach it long enough to watch it to conclusion.

Either the movie didn't grab me enough to continue watching past the 20 minute mark (or less!) or I just plain hated it.  I'll try and stick to the "name" movies that you may have heard of, or have in your queue, and see if I can spare you some pain.

: )

Naturally, if you liked any of these movies, congratulations!  They weren't my cup of tea, but to each their own!!

Some of the films that are just outside of the Top 5:

The Iron Lady (the first review on this blog!)

The Grey

Mirror Mirror

And now, for the final 5:

# 5 - Coriolanus ~ An update on Shakespeare's tale of a general who comes back to destroy his city after they cast him aside.  The retellings of Shakespeare usually work, because they also update the bard's speeches to modern English.  When a general starts thee'ing and thou'ing... it's hard to stay engaged.

# 4 - John Carter ~  This big budget adaptation...zzzzz... what?  I'm sorry, where was I ?  The story didn't bring me in, and I found myself popping this one out of the DVD player after about 30 minutes.

# 3 - Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ~ Here's hoping that this is the death knell for the series, and Johnny Blaze can revert to Marvel Studios where it can be done correctly.  This version made the first Ghost Rider movie look like a cinematic masterpiece.  Absolutely awful.

# 2 - Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star ~ Nick Swardson is luckily friends with Adam Sandler, and Adam Sandler makes movies for his friends.  Nick was hilarious in Just Go With It.  This movie was just painful to watch, and was gone from the DVD player in about 15 minutes.

And the Worst Movie of the Year:

# 1 ~ Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie ~ # 1 with a bullet (to the head) comes some of Will Ferrell's pals from Funny or Die.  The opening credits were funny.  Then the actual movie started, and it wasn't funny, and I wanted to die.

Streaming on Netflix if you want to try.  I couldn't get past the 10 minute mark.


So there you have it.  And I'm thankful that I endured less than an hour, hour and a half of cinematic movie torture this year with this list of films.

Here's to a better 2013 in movies!  More great films, fewer turkeys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment