Thursday, February 18, 2016

Time To Turn In My Nerd Card... "Firefly"


Firefly (2002)

Created by Joss Whedon

Starring Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Jewel Staite, Summer Glau, Ron Glass, Sean Maher,

The Story:

In the distant future, Captain Mal Reynolds (Fillion) and his ragtag crew take on any and all paying jobs while trying to stay out of the hair of warring factions and authorities bent on catching them.

That's all I'm going to write for the plot, because really, that's all that matters at this point. People that read this are going to be of one of two camps:

I love Firefly.

What's Firefly?

This hybrid western/science fiction crossover is the answer to many fans question of "what show was cancelled too soon?" or "if you could bring back any one television show?" or...

Well, you get the idea.

Fox has a history of cutting short anything that's new and doesn't attract earth-shattering numbers to keep viewers interest.

They also have a tendency to keep animated shows on the air long after they've ceased being consistently funny, or in some cases, ever being funny to begin with.

But at least they compensate their voice actors handsomely, right?

But wait, I'm getting distracted with Fox and their bad business decisions

Let's get back to why we're here today, nearly 15 years after cancelling Firefly, I finally sat down and watched the first episode.

Should I mention I saw the movie Serenity a few years ago with no Firefly experience whatsoever? The movie was alright, nothing great, but it wasn't a waste of time.

Guess what?

I saw Firefly the other night, with only my experience of having seen these characters before in Serenity a few years ago. The show was alright, nothing great, but it wasn't a waste of time.

Now I know why Fox killed it.

That first episode really did nothing for me.

I even gathered the family around to watch with me.

As the show continued, I looked around and most heads were buried in sketch books as they doodled something other than a character from Firefly.

I think I may have been guilty of checking my email and Facebook a few times as well.

There, I said it.

Firefly was okay. Nothing great.

Would I come back and watch the other 13 episodes?

Maybe someday.

Not in any real hurry.

If Netflix were to announce that it's being pulled at the end of the month, I would shrug my shoulders and go " oh well " versus rushing out to binge watch the show and see if it got any better.

Plenty of other things to try out.

And like I said, I saw Serenity. I know how the saga ends, if you will.

So there's not a whole lot of likelihood that the show is going to get THAT much better in the next few episodes.

Sorry for all the browncoats out there that loved this show, I just don't get the hype.

I am however, sorry for your loss.

Currently streaming on Netflix as of this writing.

Final Grade: C+

3 comments:

  1. Sigh. Which first episode? The order shown or the order it was meant to be shown? And seriously, one episode? It's am ensemble piece, which means there is setup time.

    Turn in your nerd card :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Which first episode? The order shown or the order it was meant to be shown? And seriously, one episode? It's am ensemble piece, which means there is setup time.

    Turn in your nerd card :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just used Netflix's order of Season 1, Episode 1. Yep, only one episode (so far). It didn't grab me enough to make me want to come back and see what happens next, but it wasn't terrible.

    ReplyDelete