Thursday, January 29, 2015

It's "Tammy" and Lousie. Sort Of.

Tammy (2014)

R

Starring Melissa McCarthy, Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates,

Directed by Ben Falcone

The Story:

Tammy (McCarthy) has just been fired, finds her husband cheating on her, so she decides to go on a road trip. Except her car is shot also. Her mom (Bates) refuses to allow her to use the car. So she borrows Grandma (Sarandon), her money and her car, and the duo head to Niagara Falls.

Hilarity ensues.

Unless you find it to be more tedious than humorous.

Then you would be me.

Added to Identity Thief and Heat, this is the third movie starring Melissa McCarthy that I found to be "average".

She is funny.

I do not hate her.

Strange that a critic needs to mention that, but I have nothing against her personally or her weight.

I have something against comedies that aren't funny.

Like her previous movies, there were chuckles and a few genuine laughs to be found. The problem? They existed in a 90 minute movie where the other 75 minutes were drawn out and less than funny.

Great cast. Less than great script.

When the writers are the star and the director...

Well, there's your problem.

For the record, while I never reviewed Bridesmaids (McCarthy's big screen break), I found it to be a C+ range of a film where the critics gushed that finally the girls had an R rated comedy they could call their own.

As I've said before, if you're going for R, the jokes simply need to be consistently funny.

We'll see what happens when I see the Ghostbusters revamp.


Final Grade: C-

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: Not a chance. I had almost forgotten I had even watched this one, so consider the grade a generous one.

No comments:

Post a Comment