Tuesday, December 2, 2014

What Could Have Been... "I Am Santa Claus"

I Am Santa Claus (2014)

Rated R

Starring Mick Foley, Russell Spice, Jim Stevenson, Santa Claus,

Directed by Tommy Avallone

The Story:

A year in the life of several bearded Santas. Share in their adventures as they count down to the biggest day of their lives, and learn why they do it, and keep the persona,  in many cases, all year round.

This one just seemed like a natural fit for me to watch.

Christmas.
Mick Foley.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well, for starters, this documentary presented by Morgan Spurlock rolls into town with an R rating.

So here comes my soapbox:

If you're going to do a documentary about several men who love to be Santa Claus, and they talk about the joy and special feeling to see a child's eyes light up when they talk to them...

Why, oh why, would you make an R rated documentary?

It's not even for the language, though one Santa goes on a profane (drunken) tirade.

No, it seems that it was to include a gay Santa who likes to pose for men and a mentioned just enough to ensure they got an R rating,  President of the Santa Association who is a known swinger.

:: sigh ::

So I'm stuck with a documentary about how cool it is to dress up as Santa to make kids happy, and I can't show it to kids.

Brilliant marketing.

: /

For the most part though, the lives of the Santas are all interesting enough, and Mick Foley is always entertaining.

I would have liked to have enjoyed it more than I did.

I would recommend the superior Becoming Santa documentary instead for the whole family.


Ah well...

Available for streaming on Netflix as of this writing.

Final Grade: C/C+ range

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: Once was plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment