Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Everything Sounds Better On Vinyl..."High Fidelity"

High Fidelity (2000)

Rated R for language

Starring John Cusack, Iben Hjejle, Jack Black, Todd Louiso, Joan Cusack, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tim Robbins

Directed by Stephen Frears

The Story:

Rob Gordon (Cusack) has been dumped by the latest love of his life, Laura (Hjejle) and is moving in with former neighbor, Ian (Robbins).  This drives Rob nuts, and through a series of flashbacks and breaking the 4th wall narratives, we are going to relive much of Rob's life as he counts down the Top 5 Break-Ups in his life.

So you start with a romantic comedy, but in addition to that, there is Rob's job as the owner of a record shop, and his two employees Barry (Black) and Dick (Louiso) that power those moments in between the break-up stories, and probably cement this as more of a guys movie, than a date movie.

I would say it's also the film that propelled Jack Black into stardom.  Up until this movie, he was a bit player in lots of things, and he had Tenacious D, but I would say it was his hilarious performance as Barry, the guy has all the best lines in the movie, that made him a star.  Within 2 years, he was headlining movies after this.

The star of the film of course is John Cusack.

Top 5 Favorite John Cusack Films:

1) Better Off Dead
2) Grosse Pointe Blank
3) Con AirCon Air Review!
4) One Crazy Summer
5) High Fidelity

I can put any of these films in to watch any time, and I'm good to go.

Wait a minute...

I've just learned that my wife doesn't even like High Fidelity that much.

Head...spinning...

I feel as if I've been living a lie for nearly 15 years.

I need to go sit down and relax.

Apparently I won't be relaxing by watching High Fidelity... at least for now.

:)

Final Grade: A

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I try and watch this one every year or so.  Absolutely love it.  Learning that my wife doesn't find it nearly as funny as I do now has me trying to find a new Top 5 John Cusack movies to watch with her!

: /

No comments:

Post a Comment