Friday, March 21, 2014

It's About Finding Love... "About Time"

About Time (2013)

Rated R for language

Starring Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy

Directed and written by Richard Curtis

The Story:

Tim (Gleeson) learns from his dad (Nighy) that the men in their family have the ability to travel back in time.  Tim attempts to do just that, and finds that yes indeed, his dad was right.  So Tim is out to find true love, when he meets Mary (McAdams).  It will take some doing to get that meeting just right because like any time travel story, if you tinker just a little bit, you face repercussions.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this film.

Curtis has given us Notting Hill and Love Actually among others.

So yes, a good romantic comedy was probably coming.

And it is.

But so much more.

As the film unfolds, subtly, it becomes about a love between a father and son.

When Tim learns of the limitations of what time travel can do, it sets up an emotional finale that will put the proverbial lump in your throat.

McAdams and Nighy do their usual perfect roles, but I was impressed with Gleeson.  This is the first starring role from him that I am familiar with.  He comes across as very charming and fun.

He's the new Hugh Grant.

Yes, that's a great compliment.

I also thought to myself as I watched it, that while I don't watch the show, this guy seems like he would make a great Doctor Who someday.

We'll see.

My only real complaint with this film was the rating.  I think the overall audience and reach of this film could have been greater with a PG-13 rating and dial the language back a notch.

Just my take.

Final Grade: B

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I would be willing to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment