Friday, October 18, 2013

"After Earth", What Else Is There?


Oh my stars and garters...

The Story:

Cypher (Will Smith) and Kitai (Jaden Smith) crash land on Earth.  Cypher is injured and must rely on his son to save them both.  Can Kitai save them both, or will the planet, or an evil nasty that is chasing him, finish him off first?

First, I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

Second, I'm not sure I actually did.  I think at one point I hit the remote by accident and skipped an entire chapter of the movie.

I don't think I missed anything.

Then, I know for a fact that I wrote a different movie review somewhere near the third act of the movie.

So let's hit it:

Will Smith.  The man exudes charisma and charm.  This is likely his most uncharismatic role. Ever.  You want to play against type, well done Mr. Smith, you are effectively boring.

But if you want to talk about a lack of charisma?  Look no farther than Smith's offspring, Jaden.  If it wasn't bad enough to endure a Karate Kid remake that was bogged down in boredom, barely watchable only for Jackie Chan, apparently we are now forced to a lifetime of Jaden Smith movies because of who his dad is.

What a shame for moviegoers everywhere.

If you really want a cure for insomnia, Walmart has a 2 pack with After Earth & The Karate Kid bundled together.

Of course, let's not leave the blame entirely on the Smith household.

No, I give you M. Night Shyamalan, writer & director of this science fiction epic...of disastrous proportions.

It's been all the rage to bash Shyamalan since The Sixth Sense.  Apparently when you storm onto the scene with a movie that great, it's all downhill from there.

Sidebar:  Come on folks, the Sixth Sense wasn't THAT great.  It was apparent what the shocking twist was if you were watching the movie.  Good, not great.

But from that point on, Shyamalan had an uphill battle where he seemingly had to throw a "twist" at the end of each of his movies, and they began to suffer for it.

That said, I'm one of the few people that actually didn't mind Lady in the Water, so go figure.

However, when you can't translate The Last Airbender into a good movie... I mean the cartoon was phenomenal.  All you had to do was a straight-up adaptation... but nooooo....

So, I would say the bloom is definitely off the rose with his career, if it wasn't already before.

Look carefully at the movie posters and trailers... Where was his name exactly?

Nowhere.

The studios didn't want you to know it was his film.

Sad, but true.

So if you haven't already wasted your time watching this film, save 2 hours of your life (it'll feel more like 4) and go watch just about any other Will Smith movie instead.

Yes, that even includes Wild Wild West.

Final Grade: I waffle... I feel I should give it a D-... but an F sounds much better.  How about...  F+ ?

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor:  Not even if you paid me.  Unless you were willing to pay me a lot, then we'll talk...

No comments:

Post a Comment