Saturday, June 8, 2013

Just Because We Were Extras Doesn't Mean You Have To Watch "Little Red Wagon"

Based on an inspirational true story...

The Story:

In 2004, Hurricane Charley swept Florida out to sea and killed everyone.  One survivor, little Zach Bonner (Chandler Canterbury) rebuilds the entire state with just his own two hands, and a beat up little red wagon.  Okay, not entirely true.  But Zach rallied his neighbors by asking for donations for hurricane victims, and collected thousands of pounds of supplies with the help of his family.  Encouraged by the response, and perhaps enjoying the fame and glory that came with it, Zach decides he wants to start a charity, The Little Red Wagon Foundation and provide "Zach Packs" to the homeless youth of Florida. 

Seriously, it is a sweet idea, and I may be a bit biased because, we were all extras in this film, and it was one of the worst productions we've ever endured.

: )

No, really.  The kids have all been extras on Army Wives a few times, and that cast and crew has their stuff together.  This film crew?  They film the opening scene, and take an entire day to do it.  On location here in Charleston... and they didn't think a Port-A-Potty would be a good idea?  Or a tent in case of rain...

Thankfully, the neighborhood opened up their houses...or at least their garages and bathrooms... when things got a little rough out there.

The movie was written by Patrick Sheane Duncan (Mr. Holland's Opus) and with that pedigree...I love that movie... I thought this was in good hands.  Eh... not so much.  The dialogue is a bit preachy and melodramatic... or maybe it's the delivery by the actors who do no justice to what they've been handed.

It's a TV movie quality film given the big-screen treatment.  Though I don't think it premiered on any theaters except maybe here in Charleston, and probably down in Florida.

The director, David Anspaugh is the man who helmed Rudy and Hoosiers, so apparently inspirational true stories is what he does best.

That said, Zach's story was fine, in and of itself.  The tension between the sister, mom and Zach ratchets up to the point of ridiculousness by the end, but so be it.

What drove me personally bonkers was the inclusion of a widow and her son who literally have their world shattered all around them in an almost parallel to how great Zach's life is going for him being the subject of media adoration.  Too much... too contrived...

I mean, I shouldn't laugh when the kid falls out of the dumpster and breaks his arm... but I did.  I mean, come on, let's no pile on ridiculous cliché after cliché, please?

So, if you want to see my cute daughter, watch the first 2:50 seconds...she's the neighbor girl holding the bunny (I need to watch the credits again and see if that's how she's listed!).  If you want to barely see me in my 2nd major film role of all time, I'm one of the photographers during the Christmas scene... and even when I'm not onscreen, my flash is prominent in the scene that follows.  Acting AND Special Effects, Baby!!

Streaming Now on Netflix for your viewing pleasure.

Final Grade: C

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: Neither for both.  Though I could watch it again, at least the parts mentioned above, to not let Hollywood stardom go to my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment