Friday, June 8, 2012

The Iron Lady

Hollywood attempts to tell the story of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.  And when you think of the PM, naturally, the first thought is:

Meryl Streep!

Because really, is there any role she cannot play?

I think only one, and that's the role of "Bandit" in "Smokey & the Bandit".  Otherwise, the sky is the limit for her.

Now, over the years, we have developed a system for movie tolerance.  It's the "Twenty Minute Rule".  If, by the first 20 minutes of a movie, we are not engaged, engrossed or enthralled by the happenings unfolding before us, it is safe to remove the movie, no harm, no foul, and send it back.

Now, I am the more patient movie-goer, and I let many a movie roll for the entire running time in the "hopes it will get better."  Sometimes it does... sometimes I simply say "meh..." and those movies quickly fade from memory.

So as "The Iron Lady" unfolded last night, we were treated to a Margaret Thatcher who was alzheimerific, or delusional, and the movie was bouncing between now and then.  Fine fine, I can tell my way around a movie without getting too confused.

So I wasn't confused.

I was simply bored. 

Not sure I even made it to 20 minutes.


Final Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment