Friday, August 18, 2017

Labor Intensive Viewing..."Ghost In The Shell"


Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Rated PG-13

Starring Scarlett Johansson, Pilou Asbaek, Juliette Binoche, Michael Pitt, Takeshi Kitano

Directed by Rupert Sanders

The Story:

In the future, Major (Johannson) is an elite soldier that has been cybernetically enhanced to face criminals that mean to do the world harm. However, while most people get enhanced parts, Major is the first to have her life put into a completely cybernetic being. Now someone is killing those behind her creation, and it's up to Major to stop them.

I enjoyed this one a lot more 30 years ago when it was called RoboCop.

:)

I can't tell how this compares to the Manga series of the same name, I would imagine that having the lead Japanese character played by Scarlett Johannson is the first of many departures from the original.

Because, oh yeah, when they recreated Major, she was previously a Japanese girl, and the body they opted to put her in was decidedly not Japanese.

They also decided to put her in a movie that really seemed overlong, rather boring, and completely uninteresting.

I did watch the whole thing instead of shutting it off, but at the end of the film, I have to ask myself, "did I enjoy what I just watched" and "would I ever want to watch it again" ?

The answer to both, a resounding no.

I hope this doesn't hurt Scarlett's shot at a solo Black Widow movie.  That, I do want to see!

 Final Grade: D+

No comments:

Post a Comment