Thursday, November 3, 2016

Look Who's Back... "Now You See Me 2"



Now You See Me 2 (2016)  

Rated PG-13

Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Dave Franco, Mark Ruffalo, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Radcliffe, Jay Chou, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine,

Directed by Jon M. Chu

The Story:

The Horsemen (Eisenberg, Harrelson, Franco) are in hiding. Rhodes (Ruffalo) is doing his best to keep the FBI at bay, but with the Horsemen down a man, he sends a new recruit (Caplan) to join the team. Of course with Thaddeus Bradley (Freeman) vowing revenge from behind bars, it appears that the walls are closing in, and the Horsemen may have performed their final trick.

Well, that was fun.

I quite enjoyed the original Now You See Me a few years back, and it wound up being one of my favorites of 2013.

As with most sequels, it does not quite reach the lofty heights of the original, and NYSM 2 is no exception.

It's good, and if you enjoyed the first one, there's nothing that's going to stop you from enjoying this return engagement.

The illusions are fun, and even if you know how they pulled the trick off, they are executed very well and are fun to watch.

The cast is great, and while I'm not a big fan of Jesse Eisenberg, he meshes well with this group.

Caplan is a breath of fresh air to the team as she tries to fit in and find her role with the team.

Probably my biggest complaint is the double-duty of Harrelson in the movie. I think I would have simply preferred that he have a brother rather than a twin. There was no identity swapping required, so it seemed silly to me.

But still, good times, and I enjoyed it.

While this one won't make the best of the year, it was still enjoyable and I will likely add it to the library down the road.

Plus, if rumors are to be believed, there will be a Now You See Me 3.

I look forward to it.

Final Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment