Monday, November 7, 2016

"Doctor Strange" Is Not Covered By Your Affordable Healthcare Plan



Doctor Strange (2016)

Rated PG-13

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tilda Swinton, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Mads Mikkelsen,

Directed by Scott Derrickson

The Story:

Doctor Strange (Cumberbatch) is an extremely accomplished neurosurgeon who is as brilliant as his ego suggests he is. In an instant, his world comes crashing down, and he loses everything. In a last-ditch effort to regain the full use of his hands, he heads east in the hopes of healing, and winds up learning ancient mystic arts. Of course, when another former pupil is trying to learn a dark spell that will wind up destroying the earth, it will fall upon Strange's shoulders to see if he's learned enough to stop the threat.

Full disclosure, I never really cared for Doctor Strange when I was growing up. Aside from guest starring in the books that I read, I never sought his own comic out to read.

Just a character I never truly cared for.

However, much like Daredevil, give him to the right hands, and I might find myself really digging the character.

When I saw the trailer(s) for Doctor Strange, I was also less than overwhelmed.

They did nothing to alleviate my fears, unlike the killer trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy that made me realize THAT movie is going to be amazing, and I MUST see it in theaters.

Nope, this looked like one I could probably miss in theaters and catch on DVD, much like I did with Age of Ultron.

However, I wound up at the theater with one of my kids Friday afternoon, and we sat down to watch.

Neither of us hoping for much, other than to not be let down.

Part of me wonders why we even worry about anything Marvel touches anymore.

: )

In short, it exceeded any and every expectation that we had.

There was great characterizations, there was fun, Marvel dialogue.

The special effects are nothing short of amazing, and they keep the fight sequences fresh and visually stunning.

I've seen handfuls of reviews, both professional and not that actually recommend this one be seen in 3-D if possible.

I can only imagine how crazy that's got to look!

The final "boss battle" in the movie is really good, and keeps within the character that Doctor Strange has been and becomes as the movie progresses.

What else?

Doctor Strange sounds an awful lot like Dr. House. Apparently that is the default voice for grumpy brilliant doctors. : )

And if the Academy ever decides to create a Best Supporting Prop category, I nominate the Cloak of Levitation.

: )

Go see it.

You'll be glad you did.

Final Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment