Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Wave Of Underwhelming Animation Continues..."The Nut Job"

The Nut Job (2014)
Rated PG

Starring Will Arnett, Brendan Fraser, Liam Neeson, Katherine Heigl

Directed by Peter Lepeniotis

The Story:

Things are looking bleak in the City Park as the animals were unable to store enough food for winter.  Raccoon (Neeson) the leader, sends Grayson (Fraser) and Andie (Heigl), two of the smartest squirrels out to get the nuts from a local peanut vendor.  However Surly (Arnett) and his mouse pal Remy...no wait...Buddy... are already casing the joint.  Things get complicated when the nut vendors turn out to be bank robbers planning a heist.

Ooo!

An animated heist film.

And you all know what a fan of heist films I am.

I will also give credit, the heist that the humans are planning is pretty ingenious.

It's just a lot of tediousness of getting to the heist that bogs this one down for me.

There's not a whole lot to the main story, so there's a romantic entanglement between Andie and Surly and the treachery of one of their own from the park.

I know... the horror!

The animation is okay.  This is a throwback to the 50s, and that works really well.

The animals themselves though... eh ... I've seen better designs.

Like I said at the beginning, take a look at the mouse best pal.  He's a cross between Pinky and Remy from Ratatouille.

Again, I hate to be overly harsh as I think this is the first feature from this studio.

It's an okay first effort, and hopefully they can build on it.

Final Grade: C-

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I would pass on both of these options.

No comments:

Post a Comment