Saturday, May 11, 2013

These Kids Today..."Parental Guidance"


Further proof that there's no school like the Old School...

The Story:

Phil and Alice Simmons (Tom Everett Scott and Marisa Tomei) need to go on a weekend retreat so he can get an award for his prototype "future house".  The problem? Who will watch their 3 lovely children?  Naturally, Phil's parents will be out of town on a cruise... so they are forced to contact... the "other" grandparents, Artie and Diane (Billy Crystal and Bette Midler).  They fly out to Atlanta, but their parenting style is way different than the 21st century way that the kids have been brought up.  Things are about to hit the fan!

So just by reading that little bit of the plot, you know what's going to happen.  This might be the 2nd most filmed story-line right after "Boy Meets Girl".

But hey, sometimes you want familiar and fun, and so these films get made.

I enjoyed it the most in the house.  My kids seemed indifferent and mama threatened to walk out a few times. : )

But me?  I'm here for one reason: Billy Crystal.

I love the guy, and if I often remark that actors only play themselves and it works as a put-down, I would offer Billy Crystal as the exception to that rule.

Whether he is allowed to write his own material or improvise as he goes or read directly as written, it doesn't really matter to me.  His delivery is pitch perfect every time.

Besides the typical old vs. new school of raising kids, they toss in a subplot that really isn't that necessary with Artie wanting to find a new job, but really, the reason behind his job bubbles under the surface and it made Artie who he is, and the dream that he's lived for a lifetime.  It's brought out beautifully at the end in the final act when all of the problems that the kids had with the grandparents and the daughter had with her parents are resolved in a by-the-numbers but still enjoyable finale.

It was also very nice to see Bette Midler back on screen.  She still hasn't lost her comedic touch, and she pairs up nicely with Crystal.

Plus Marisa Tomei always does a great job, but hasn't been seen (at least by me) in recent years.

And for the record, I'm with Artie.  I can't stand the "can't say no... don't keep score... everyone's a winner..." generation of children that is being raised.  It's a setup for failure in the real world.

Ah well... back off my soapbox.

Final Grade: B-

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I could watch it again.  It might be alone... but I could do it! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment