Thursday, May 30, 2013

No Comedians Were Harmed In the Making of "Stand Up Guys"


I want him dead... you hear me... dead!

The Story:

Val (Al Pacino) is released after a lengthy stint in jail.  He's picked up by his friend and accomplice, Doc (Christopher Walken) and taken home.  It seems that a local crime boss wants Val dead, because years ago Val apparently killed the son of said crime boss.  Doc is supposed to do the deed.  But how can he take the life of his best friend?  So with one night left on earth, all Val wants to do is party and have fun.  This includes springing their other partner, Hirsch (Alan Arkin) from his retirement home so the three can take on the world together, one last time.  But with time winding down, Doc's got some hard choices to make on whether to turn on his pal, or to forfeit his own life instead.

You know, I intentionally write short summaries of the movies, because I hate giving away everything that happens in them.

Movie trailers used to serve to whet the appetite to wanting to see the film.  You see just enough, and you're interested and want to see that film.  It sounds good...it looks good.  Too often lately, the trailer seems to give away too much, often to the point of "well, why bother seeing this one?"

I write this caveat, because as I re-read it my plot description.... it actually sounds like it should be a good movie that I would want to watch.

And it almost is...

It's a little slow... and the performances from 3 master scene stealers... well amazingly, they are all rather subdued, and rarely steal much of anything throughout, especially Walken.

I don't know if that's to the overall detriment of the film or not.

But as I watched the film, I never felt engaged with the characters until the movie was probably roaring...okay...strolling... into the third act.

And no offense to movies, but waiting until the end to begin making an emotional investment with the audience and characters is a bit too long.

The movie is wrongly categorized as a comedy, but it's not a comedy, though it is humorous.

However, it is probably too light to be considered a drama.

It's a movie that for me, should have been more.  Something is missing, and I still don't know what that ingredient is. 

That's a shame.


If you want to see these three great actors in better, recent films, try Christopher Walken in "Seven Psychopaths"; Alan Arkin in "Argo" and Al Pacino in... uh... hmmm... I'm not sure Pacino has made a good movie recently...

: /

Final Grade: C+

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: Once was enough for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment