Thursday, March 8, 2018

I'll Skip "Breakfast At Tiffany's"


Breakfast At Tiffany's (1961)

Not Rated

Starring Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Mickey Rooney, Patricia Neal

Directed by Blake Edwards

The Story:

Holly Golightly (Hepburn) is a... socialite ... living alone in New York. Ah, but when writer Paul Verjak (Peppard) moves into her building...

Who am I kidding?

It's the tale of two hookers living in New York.

However, after trying over the course of 3 days, I finally made it 20 minutes into the movie.

Only because I always try and give every movie 20 minutes to make up my mind, or change my mind.

That said, I was ready to bail on the adventures of Holly at around the 5 minute mark.

As a comedy, it is not amusing.

As a romance, it is nauseating.

Factor in the Mickey Rooney character, and this is one of the most racist films ever made.

Done as a bit by Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies, it's amusing.

Done as a real character who is nothing more than a comic relief cliche'... well no ...

And I really had no desire to spend another 90 minutes with any of these characters any longer.

Hepburn is made to be a feminist icon with her performance here, but I think that's revisionist history through rose-colored glasses; or overlooking how she makes a living.

I can neither endorse the one-hit-wonder Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song, because as I recall, I think, I no longer like it.

For those however that do like it, it's streaming on Netflix if you're so inclined.

Final Grade: F


No comments:

Post a Comment