Friday, May 5, 2017

You're No Groot! "A Monster Calls"



A Monster Calls (2016)

Rated PG-13

Starring Lewis MacDougall, Sigourney Weaver, Felicity Jones, Liam Neeson,

Directed by J.A. Bayona

The Story:

Conor (MacDougall) is caring for his terminally ill mum (Jones) when a giant tree monster (Neeson) comes calling on him. He demands that Conor do the one thing he cannot do...tell the truth. The monster will then share some stories with Conor that will teach him valuable life lessons.

Of course by the 30 minute mark, I being the heartless monster that I am was so bored to tears by this movie I took it out and mailed it back to Netflix.

Blasphemy, I know.

This is yet the latest festival darling, well-regarded film that I absolutely didn't care for.

Conor's mom is going to die. He despises that his grandmother (Weaver) is there, because that's sealing the deal.

And the monster will help Conor face the pain and reality of what is about to happen.

Yeah, I get it.

I made it through the first animated story that the monster tells, and I found myself just really not caring.

Saved an hour of my life, and undoubtedly needing Kleenex to wipe away the tears they were going to bring about in the final act if I finally started caring about the characters.

I'll go see about watching Rogue One instead, that way I can make sure I see Felicity Jones die in that one instead.

:)

Final Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment