Friday, March 17, 2017

Not Interested..."Manchester By The Sea"


Manchester By The Sea (2016)

Rated R

Starring Casey Affleck, Lucas Hedges, Kyle Chandler, Michelle Williams, C.J. Williams

Written and Directed by Kenneth Lonergan

The Story:

Lee (Affleck) is a bitter handyman that nobody really likes. When he gets the news that his brother (Chandler) has passed away, he goes back to Manchester By The Sea to pay his respects and learns that his brother has named him as guardian.

Ugh.

These are the times when I consider giving movies the grade of incomplete when I give up on watching them.

There's nothing inherently wrong or bad with the movie... it's just not my cup of tea.

Affleck's character is not someone I want to watch for over 2 hours.

He's a bitter, angry man, and while he has his reasons, quite frankly, I didn't care to want to invest anymore time or energy as each of the flashbacks revealed a new layer to the story.

I get it, but I just wasn't that interested.

I invested 30 minutes into the film, 10 more than I normally give, but I just wasn't absorbed or interested in the story.

Bravo for Amazon Studios for making a film that received Golden Globes, Oscars and other awards.

But nope, this one wasn't for me.

If I want to see an angry Affleck brother punch something, I'll go watch Batman vs. Superman again.

:)

Final Grade:   D

No comments:

Post a Comment