Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Guaranteed To Give You "Goosebumps"



Goosebumps (2015)

Rated PG

Starring Jack Black, Dylan Minnette, Odeya Rush

Directed by Rob Letterman

The Story:

Zach (Minnette) moves to a new town, and he's just not that into it, but then he meets the mysterious girl next door (Rush), Hannah. She seems great, but there's something about her dad (Black) and his overprotective ways that wants to keep Zach and Hannah apart. When Zach winds up discovering that her dad is the author R. L. Stine, and that he keeps all of his books locked up because the monsters from his books are very, very real. And now they are all loose. It's up to these 3 to get them back under lock and key before it's too late!

I suppose I should start with the fact that I've never read a Goosebumps book, never watched the show, so I have nothing to compare this to.

And I think that's okay.

I saw the trailer, it looked amusing enough, so I figured why not?

I was not disappointed.

For once I had a couple of teenagers that weren't trying to alter a dystopian future or change the world.

Nope, they were running from monsters!

Yes, it was quite a refreshing change of pace.

A great cast, led by Jack Black (in multiple roles) and a solid script keep things fun and exciting for the duration of the film.

It was nice to have a movie for the whole family that we all watched together, and when it was over, thumbs up all around.

Never boring, nobody doodling or checking their phone while it was on.

I'll take that kind of film every time.

Final Grade: Solid B, a B+ could even be argued and I wouldn't object.

No comments:

Post a Comment