Monday, May 26, 2014

I Just Don't Get The Fascination With "Downtown Abbey"

Downtown Abbey (2010)
N/R

Starring Hugh Bonneville, Laura Carmichael, Jim Carter, Brendan Coyle, Michelle Dockery, Joanne Froggatt,

Created by Julian Fellowes

The Story:

We are introduced to the Crawley family who live in Downtown Abbey, and the servants who work there  to keep the house and Crawley family running smoothly.  It opens the day after the Titanic sinks, and the heir to the fortune goes down with the ship.  Whatever will the Crawley's do?

I'm not sure, but I can tell you this much...

zzzzZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzZZZZ

I don't know what the rest of the world sees in this show, but color me unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong:

The actors, great job.
The sets are absolutely gorgeous.
The period piece, marvelous.

The story?

ZzzzZZZzzzzZZzZZzzZzzz

I was completely underwhelmed for almost the entire running time of the first episode.

Things heated up, barely, we're talking candle heat, not space heater or fireplace heat at the end with the shocking revelation of one of the servants and the honor that Mr. Crawley showed to the former comrade in arms now servant.

But alas, way too little, much too late.

There's no way, nor reason, why I would want to come back for more.

You can argue that "it gets better" or "I'm being too harsh", but that's my judgment for the show, and I've got a million and one other things I can watch next, so why come back to something I found to only be so-so, at best?

Nah.

Available to stream free for Amazon Prime members.

Final Grade: C-... maybe lower!
Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: No to both, thank you though.

No comments:

Post a Comment