Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Has Anyone Ever Calculated the Exact Coordinates of the "Striking Distance" ?



It's like Die Hard...ah, nevermind...

The Story:

Detective Tom Hardy (Bruce Willis) is a Pittsburgh detective who is caught between a rock and a hard place.  He has just testified against his partner (Robert Pastorelli) about using excessive force on a suspect.  On top of that, they are tracking a serial killer who seems to be one step ahead of the cops at every turn.  Everyone figures it has got to be a cop.  When a pursuit leaves his father (John Mahoney) dead, Hardy insists that there is a cover-up taking place, and fears that his uncle (Dennis Farina) and cousin (Tom Sizemore) could be involved.  When it costs him his badge, the years pass and Hardy is now river patrol.  There he is partnered with a new cop (Sarah Jessica Parker), but soon more victims that match the same m.o. as before start turning up in the water, and Hardy thinks the killer is back.

Whatever will he do?

Well, I have to say that this movie has held up rather well over the last 20 years.  I probably haven't seen it in about that long, maybe only 15 years...!!

Very little of this movie was retained in my memory.  So I thought, "maybe it was bad", or "I just didn't like it"?

Nope, it was fine, for what it is. 

It's hard when your leading man is Bruce Willis and he's coming off the heels of Die Hard. 

Granted, 25 years later, I've come to appreciate what Bruce brings to the screen in his roles.  I see him on the screen, and he always has to make the character different than what he's played before, but if he channels enough John McClane, normally it's satisfying to the audience.

However, this close to Die Hard, perhaps I was expecting too much from him?  Hard to say, exactly.

I'm not sure what was the disconnect on this one with audiences, but it is seemingly forgotten or dismissed in Willis' body of work.  Was there too much confusion in the plot on who everyone was?  Not enough action on the boats?  Was it just too slow and boring?

Hard to say.

Perhaps the reveal of the killer is too telegraphed and people didn't buy off on it.

I don't know.


The cast is full of great character actors, including the late, great Dennis Farina, who had not yet passed away when I watched the film, but has since passed since originally writing this review.  I hate to see him go out with this film as my latest memory of him, so perhaps a revisit to Get Shorty is in order? :)

Finally, I will say this, and I don't mean it in any way other than I'm going to say it, but:

Sarah Jessica Parker...the years have not been as kind to you as they have been to your co-star.

: )

Final Grade: C+

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I own Hudson Hawk, but not this one?  Hmm... seems like I've erred somewhere along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment