Thursday, October 2, 2014

These Vampires Don't Sparkle. They Don't Entertain, Either. "Only Lovers Left Alive"

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

Rated R

Starring Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt

Written and Directed by Jim Jarmusch

The Story:

Adam (Hiddleston) and Eve (Swinton) are vampires. They apparently love one another, but as the movie begins, they are not together. Hiddleston is a musician with an eye and ear for electric guitars. Eve heads to Marlowe (Hurt) to get the last of his "good stuff". Adam goes to the hospital to buy some blood discreetly.  They all drink up...

And then I turned the movie off.

It had been over 20 minutes of artistic melodrama that was getting me nowhere but bored.

Whatever else happened in this movie, happened without my knowledge or care.

The amusing part, I was actually ready to turn it off when the movie started with the parallel scenes overhead of the main characters using a downward spiral effect from the camera.

I should have taken the downward spiral as a sign!

I came to be entertained, not nauseated.

This was the first Jim Jarmusch film I have seen.  Looking at his credits, I know I have one more in my queue that I had requested.

Now however, I'm in no hurry at this point.

Final Grade: D

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: No chance..

No comments:

Post a Comment