Saturday, October 25, 2014

Get Away From Your Troubles At A "Summer Rental"

Summer Rental (1985)

Rated PG-13

Starring John Candy, Karen Austin, Kerri Green, Joey Lawrence, Richard Crenna, Rip Torn

Directed by Carl Reiner

The Story:

Jack Chester (Candy) is an air-traffic controller who is burned out at his job. He takes his wife (Austin) and kids (Green and Lawrence) on a mandated vacation to rest and relax. Naturally, if it could go wrong for Jack, it will. He runs into (literally) the wealthiest man (Crenna) in the area, which sets up the finale of a regatta race for pride and money.  May the best man win.

Well, it definitely wasn't worth the wait.

:)

I had seen this poster in video store walls and windows in 1985, and I've never bothered to watch the film... until now!

Nothing ever really grabbed me that this would be a great film with John Candy.

The verdict?

It wasn't.

It also wasn't horrible.

It was average.

The jokes. The situations.  We've seen it all before. We've seen it all since.

It's an attempted cross between Vacation and the Great Outdoors, both of which were better than this one.

Glad I finally can scratch it off the list of films I've never seen, but when going for a great John Candy film, may I recommend Uncle Buck instead?

Available to stream on Netflix as of this writing.

Final Grade: C / C+ range

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: I waited this long to see it, I'm pretty sure at least 30 more years will slip by before I ever really think about watching it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment