Sunday, August 10, 2014

Totally Shell-Shocked: Still More Guest Reviews for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"!!!


 I am both pleased and saddened that the guest reviews provided by my daughters are the most popular reviews ever posted.

Apparently my daughters are geniuses (no argument) or people really love the Turtles (no argument).

Or my reviews are lousy.

:* (

Let's go with Turtle Power!

:)

So, 2 daughters made the reviews for yesterday.  I found a 3rd review in my Yahoo Spam folder.  I'm not sure what THAT was all about.

So you would think that a movie like TMNT, and the varying opinions of my kids would find at least one naysayer in the group.

Nope, read on for more glowing reviews:

The youngest reviewer (11):

I thought the movie was really really good.  I would give it a B+ and I hope that I get it for Christmas.

Please Dad?


Short, to the point, and a clever request for a gift all in one sentence.  Nice!

And the final reviewer, (18):

April O'Neil is a persistent reporter for New York's Channel 6 News. Unfortunately she's only given feeble stories to work with which prevent people from taking her seriously. Determined to prove her talent, April decides to investigate The Foot Clan; a mysterious group that have been terrorizing New York. With very little info on them, she's determined to shed some light to the ongoing case, accidentally meeting 4 mutant turtles that are highly skilled in martial arts (and are connected to her past), along with uncovering an even bigger threat to New York City in the process.
---
When I first heard of the movie, I was excited. Upon seeing the trailer, I lost interest. But I was still willing to give it a chance.
I'm glad that I did.

The movie was amusing and fun, but at the same time it was intriguing and filled with great action sequences. It was fast-paced and I never lost interest.
However, I will admit that while the film was good, it felt a little weak to me.
There were a couple of questionable points in the plot (but easy to overlook), and I felt like we didn't get as much character depth from the turtles as we could have.

I think the biggest difference from this TMNT movie to most of the TMNT franchise is the fact that April was the main focus this time. Usually she's secondary, leaving us plenty of time to get to know the turtles better.
But honestly, that's what I love most about TMNT. Every series is different. They hold similar elements and characters, but each incarnation is told differently, and uniquely.
There isn't a single series that's identical to the other. You may have your chosen favorite (which may differ from someone else), but in the end, it's still consists the same characters that you love and enjoy.
That's how I felt walking out of the theater. I was pleased and satisfied with their take on the Turtles.

Overall, I'd say that this was not the most incredible film I've ever seen, but it was highly enjoyable.
If you haven't seen it already, give it a shot! It might surprise you.
...
Or not. ;P

Final Grade: B+/A-

Rewatchability/Purchase Factor: There's no rush, but sure. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.


So there you have it.

My Teenage Mutant Ninja Girls give TMNT 8 thumbs up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment